Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Hunting in Colorado, Russian style.


Today we took my friend’s dad, Alex, mushroom hunting with us.  He’s Russian (Ukrainian, actually), and has been foraging all his life.  I asked him to come along because I wanted to learn about food preservation, old ways from his country, although of course I thought it would also be nice to see him.  When I called to request a visit and potential interview, he warned me that he doesn’t know anything about food preservation.  He only knows what he does, which he learned from his mother, grandmother, and various family friends back home.  Precisely what I was hoping for.  Alex is indirectly my teacher when it comes to mushrooms.  He taught a friend who later taught me, and I was so inspired and excited to learn more that I continued to pursue knowledge about other mushrooms.  That was nearly 10 years ago.

Back home, I’m typically an early riser.  Here in the woods, I’ve grown accustomed to sleeping in a bit.  So when he said he’d pick me up at 6:30AM, I asked if he could make it 7:00.  With the storms (monsoons, as they are referred to here in Colorado) usually threatening us by mid-afternoon, this seemed a wise choice.  We arrived at one of my favorite spots around 9:00 after a car ride filled with stories.  Growing up in a communist country, Alex and his family relied on foraged foods to round out their meals.  As his knowledge grew, he also used his foraging skills to make money.  He could sell a handful of crawfish for what would buy him 10 pieces of candy.

He started out not knowing much at all about mushroom hunting but learned very quickly, mostly, as he said, by making mistakes.  For example, one day he was poking around the forest for mushrooms, not finding anything he recognized.  He and a friend picked loads of milk mushrooms (lactarious deliciousus) not knowing what they were or whether or not they were even edible.  They later stumbled upon a patch of shrooms they recognized from the market, and one by one started tossing out those orange and green milks.  They noticed that an older woman began following them, picking up those mushrooms they were tossing out and stashing them in her apron (he animated this process while driving, making for an adventurous drive up the windy canyon).  That’s how he learned that the milk mushroom was “first class.”  He also learned about the white porcini by making a huge mistake—after harvesting an entire car trunk full, he tossed them out in exchange for the regular porcini upon later discovering a patch.  Learning the hard way is never easy, but it works.

Chanterelles, on the other hand, he told me are “third class.”  In order to make them edible, they must be boiled three times, changing the water between boils, then they can only be used for soup or stew.  I wouldn’t completely agree, but I prefer hawks wings, a mushroom that no restaurant in town will serve but that all the chefs request from us for their own meals.  Chanterelles are so much more beautiful and fragrant than delicious.  On top of it all, in California, they grow with my friend, poison oak.  When hunting for chanterelles, I like to disguise myself as mugwort by tucking the leaves of the plant in my hair, pockets, and shoes because poison oak and mugwort seem to like each other—at least they also typically grow next to each other—in hopes that the poison oak will leave me alone.  Between that and eating it, I haven’t had a bad outbreak in a couple of years.  Chanterelles, in my opinion, really aren’t worth the trouble, and my Ukrainian friend full heartedly agrees… although when the season comes around, I always seem to forget this.  I guess I love the hunt.

Throughout the day, I learned all sorts of things like how to salt and smoke fish, how to preserve raw strawberries with sugar, make sauerkraut, pickled apples and watermelons (yes, pickled watermelons, whole!), and so much more.  I also learned that if you have an accent, you don’t speak around other pickers in the forest—especially other Russians.  Secret spots are guarded carefully.  I had the pleasure of taking him to my best spot, the best he’s ever picked so he told me—“one word, Erica, crazy.”  He said this over and over all day.

We quickly filled our baskets, hiked them to the car, then spent several more hours hiking, barely stopping for lunch. By the end of the day, my mouth hurt from smiling so much, my legs hurt from hiking so much, and my arms hurt from carrying so many mushrooms… and I thought he’d be slow in his older age.  Between Andre and I, we gathered nearly 70 pounds; Alex took home at least another 20.  Stopping several more times on the drive home, “let us look, Erica, what do we have to lose,” I was exhausted by the time we arrived back to Boulder.  He still had at least an hour to drive, plus a full night of processing ahead of him, so I offered him a tea or coffee, but he politely declined.  Andre then offered him some the huckleberry vodka we picked up in Idaho, handmade in small batches.  Of course.  Vodka.

That kept him going for at least another hour, ensuring us a constant stream of stories and tips for drying and preserving our harvest.  In the end, we were sad to see him drive off, but so happy to have spent a lovely day in the forest with my teacher.  Thanks Alex!  

No comments:

Post a Comment