Sunday, July 22, 2012

Hot springing with the cowboys


Andre is cooking dinner, rice with garlic scapes and lentinous ponderosas sautéed in coconut oil, our new favorite mushroom—a favorite primarily because it was so plentiful. When thoroughly cooked to soften up its leathery texture, it’s actually quite tasty.  It is chewy (Andre says crunchy) and meaty. The cap is gorgeous, white, actually a bit of a golden colored from tanning in the sun even though they were rather fresh, with white, serrated gills.  They are called ponderosas because of their size, perhaps the largest mushroom I’ve ever found, especially given that they were just babies.  I wish I hadn’t filled up on tortilla chips on the ride here, but Zeke and Zoro’s sweet and spicy relish was so delicious and I was starving after a long day of hiking, but I enjoyed the little reminder of our time in Grass Valley with that crew.

We are thoroughly clean after a sunset swim in the hot springs with the cowboys.  Parked at the Fountain of Youth in Thermopolis, Wyoming, the perfect name for a place that boasts the largest hot springs in the world, we’re enjoying some luxuries of life—hot baths (my third bath of the day, even), cell phone service, internet, electricity, and great music (thanks Twyster).  We woke up next to a clear running creek with sunlight making its way into our upstairs bedroom.  I took a quick bath in the cold water to freshen up while Andre hung our bedding in the sun to air out.  We still had plenty of fruit that needed to be eaten from various harvests, so he made a big bowl of chopped fruit and berries and I sliced some cinnamon bread that we rescued from a bakery, and topped it with plum butter. We took our tea and breakfast on the road, stopping at different spots that looked good, in terms of the potential of mushrooms. 

The afternoon was spent hiking in Grand Teton National Park, a bit of an arduous and steep hike that we both needed, and poked around for mushrooms after our porcini surprise yesterday, and a second bath in the Two Oceans lake.  Later, we wandered about in the rain, watching storm clouds gift the earth and our private flower garden with droplets of water that made rainbows in the dark sky.  We didn’t run into any grizzlies today, but yesterday we saw two, probably grazing on the same berries I spent the afternoon munching on—grouse whortleberries, strawberries, and Utah honeysuckles.

On the drive to the springs, I hit a bird.  It was only the second animal I’ve ever hit, and when we pulled over to check the front end of Butter, I couldn’t bring myself to get out to see whether or not we were carrying its little black and gray body, so Andre gracious did.  We were.  For a good long while, I thought about its partner, calling for it later that evening, wondering why it wasn’t calling back, whether or not it had babies that needed food.  I’ve seen lots of roadkill on this trip, and it never occurred to me that those animals have a family somewhere.  They probably do, just like us.  The rainbow helped make the tears subside.

Tonight I am feeling thoroughly hiked out, full of mushrooms and life, hydrated, and slightly warm from the mixture of hot springs and a sip of huckleberry vodka.  My phone reminds me to name something I am grateful for each day, and tonight, I am grateful for this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment