Thursday, July 5, 2012

on time


The only reason I know what day it is today, is because we went to town yesterday.  It’s amazing how time seems so meaningless out here. We rise with the sun and go to bed with the stars.  What day it is carries little importance.  We need clocks because, first, we are slaves to our jobs, second, we are so disconnected from each other and ourselves that we have to make plans in order to fit each other in (we even have to make time for ourselves), and, third, we seek comfort in a vertical hierarchy.  Clocks are the man, the authority.  Just like my telephone tells me to name something that I am grateful for each day with an alarm that I cleverly set years ago in response to a series of studies showing that expressing daily gratitude results in increased happiness, clocks tell us what to do, or rather, when to do what we “need” to do.

It happens to be the 4th of July, our day of independence from the tyranny of the Brits.  Today, however, I am celebrating my independence from the tyranny of time.   

No comments:

Post a Comment