Sunday, October 14, 2012

Devil's Tower: September 30


Today was Roger’s day, a best friend, a trusted elder.  We headed to Devil’s Tower, WY, the first National Monument. I was never all that interested to seeing the Tower, but it was on Roger's bucket list and it sounded like something fun to do together.  It felt like we still did. 

On the drive there I was wishing that I'd taken Erika, his daughter, up on her offer to send the feather that their family decided was meant for me to my dad’s house so I’d have it for this experience.  It was a beautiful feather adorned with colorful beads that Roger used on me twice to do a feathering ceremony, cleansing me of all worries and negative thought.  It was one of the most beautiful gifts he’d ever given me, a cherished memory.  Since I'd been talked out of having it mailed, I went featherless.

When we arrived, we walked around to the backside away from other visitors.  It was nearing sunset so there wasn’t much time to hang out.  We hiked up to the base, watched some climbers descent the vertical wall, and found ourselves a nice spot to sit and take in the last rays of warm sun. I sat, attempting to conjure up memories of Roger, his powerful words of wisdom, the sound of his voice, thoughts of our time together.  Nothing came.  I sat longer.  Still, nothing.  Then, coming down from the sky I saw a feather floating in the wind.  I watched it sail in the air, back and forth, slowly, like feathers do. It landed right beneath a ponderosa tree (sugar cookie tree, as Rich and I say) a few feet in front of me.  I walked over and picked it up.  The feather was perfectly white, small and beautiful.  I looked up.  There wasn't a bird in the sky.  Afterwards, memories came, his voice and love flowed through my mind and body.  I put the feather in my bag and we started to walk out, now nearing dark.  I heard a dove cooing in a sandstone cubby and stopped to listen for a minute.  I couldn't see it, but I have a feeling it was white.

Hocus pocus woo woo shit. Yeah, I know.  But it makes for a beautiful memory.  This stop was for you, Roger, con amor y gusto.




We drove to Keyhole State Park and slept on the lake that night in a quiet little campground that we had all to ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment