Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Puget Sound Mushroom Fair: October 13


We spent much of our first morning in the Seattle area piddling around at Daniel’s house and the rest of the day at the Mushroom Fair.  Curt was there, selling his mushroom chachkies—socks decorated with neon-colored morels, porcini shaped key chains, amanita patches and stickers.  You name it, he sells it… so long as it has a mushroom on it or is at all related to mushrooms.  I adore Curt.  He is absolutely hilarious.  A retired postal service man, Curt now spends his days foraging in and around San Francisco where he lives with his wife.  He gathers mushrooms, wild fruits and berries, harvests muscles and “lobster barnacles,” and even goes diving for abalone.  His wife was on a salmon fishing trip in Alaska when I met him in Telluride at the festival, but I’m looking forward to meeting her.

Michael was also there, who we met the night before when we dropped off mushrooms for the display tables, toting a jar of the chanterelles he preserved with onions in a marinade of olive oil and vinegar.  We gave him a generous helping of fresh hericium in exchange, which he seemed excited about.  Bartering rocks.

After returning from the fair, Andre and I prepared dinner.  Daniel suggested how we cook the appetizer, matsutake steamed in soy sauce and white wine followed by angel hair pasta (rescued) topped with white chanterelles sautéed in cream and tomato for Daniel and his daughter.  As usual, the meal was delicious, especially with a round of the cheese we traded for in Levenworth.  I’ve said it before, but we eat like kings, us foragers! 

Today I learned that several of the species we supplied for the fair were edible.  I love learning about mushrooms almost as much as I love eating them.  During my evening meditation, I felt thankful for having such wonderful friends with whom to share my love.

No comments:

Post a Comment