Thursday, September 27, 2012

adventures in Madison: September 20


I can’t wait to get back into the forest, but visiting with friends and family has been a nice respite from the work of foraging and processing food.  This was going to be our last city stop for a while, and you know what they say about saving the best for last.  Andre and I made our way to Madison, Fitchburg actually, to visit a woman he has known since his days in San Francisco, Theresa, and arrived just in time for happy hour (but every hour is happy hour on the forage voyage). Theresa had opened a bottle of wine to go with the beautiful selection of Wisconsin cheeses spread out on the table.  We spent the evening chatting and playing with her daughter, Miranda, who is simple and innocent and full of love in its most pure form.  She also had her beautiful thick brown hair tied up in pigtails, which reminded me of how much I like to wear pigtails myself.

Butter needed new shoes again, so in the morning we took care of her, then drove to the Madison MOCA where Theresa was giving a tour of a new exhibit by Leo—a show of computer programmed LED lights inspired by the Playa. I took in a set of works by an female artist from Ireland, who used both photography and video to depict her experience in a deforested area of close to her home. She was running across a nearly colorless landscape wearing a red dress and black tights, sometimes tossing stones that rolled from one screen to another.  The sound was mesmerizing and the beauty of the bare landscape really captivated me. I could have watched these films for hours, but mostly they made me want to skip rocks across a pond.  Clearly, it was time for me to get back outdoors.

We decided to stay a second night at Theresa’s because the forecast called for “ice pellets and possible snow.” After piddling around for a bit, she and Andre went for a hike and I stayed back to do some yoga and catch up on my work.  My only request was that he bring back some oyster mushrooms. Naturally, he delivered.  I cooked a simple pasta (dumpster) dish with sautéed oyster mushrooms, onion (rescued) garlic (gifted), and greens (foraged from Theresa’s fridge) in a bit of cream. 

In the morning, Theresa, Miranda, and I baked Sorghum molasses cookies after breakfast of buckwheat pancakes topped with the maple syrup my mom tapped from her friend’s tree with a side of mixed fruit from the bus.  We picked a few pears from the neighbor’s tree, exchanged gifts of food – my peach and ginger preserves and some dried porcini for all the leftover local cheese, local hot chocolate mix, and a friend’s homemade cherry jam, then headed back into the forest… where we were going, we didn’t really know, but as nice as our stint of city visits was, we were both so happy to be back on the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment