Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pewaukee friends: September 19


Neither of us were ready to leave Britt’s.  I could live there forever, literally forever, but it was time to move on.  So often we find ourselves wanting to stay with the people we go to visit. It’s never easy to leave new family and dear old friends, but the adventure must go on.  Today we were making our way towards Pewaukee where we planned to surprise our friends from Venice, CA, Sara and Whaka, with a visit.  They thought we were coming tomorrow – so did we.  Sara and Whaka were staying with her family, who live over the bait shop they own, on the lake for the summer, where they were building a business teaching various forms of somewhat alternative yoga--acro, arial, and even paddle board yoga! I’ve flown (acro) before, but got to experience arial yoga for the first time in a class Sara taught for free on the night of our arrival.  What fun!

In the morning, as I promised last night, I whipped up a batch of acorn meal pancakes for the whole family before we went out to the lake for our first paddle board session with Whaka.  The route: 5.5 miles from one side of the lake to the other, which seemed like a lot to Andre and I what were we to know. Sara dropped us off and we hopped on our boards after a 5-minute lesson.  I was fully prepared to fall in.  It couldn’t be nearly as bad as the “wash machine” waves I’m used to surfing in Santa Monica.  And the water wasn’t nearly as cold as the Pacific.

Things started out great.  We had a nice strong tailwind, the sun was out, I wasn’t cold at all. Then, we decided to make a little stopover at the sandbar (an actual bar with a coffee shop upstairs that looked more like a bar than a coffee shop except for the pastries) for a shot of tequila and a beer.  Whaka flew the staff – the look on the male bartender’s face when he saw the female bartender doing acroyoga with him was priceless.  Not long after, Whaka flew him, too.  Everyone was having a great time. We ordered another round of beers and some snacks before saying goodbye to our new friends. I advertised for Sara’s yoga classes just before walking outside.  The wind seemed to have picked up, but that was probably because the tailwinds that helped ease the long paddle home had turned into headwinds.  I got on my board and paddled with all my might, but was going no where, fast.  Actually, I’m pretty sure I was moving backwards!  The guys were out of sight, I was tipsy, tired, and struggling.  I got down onto my knees and cried (whimpered is probably more accurate, but there might have been some real tears when I squinted hard enough).  After a few minutes, I laughed at myself, then started paddling again.  Eventually, I caught up with the guys who had pulled over to wait for me and we all took a break.  Whaka said the hard part was over; we’d have a tailwind again for the remainder of our ride home, which would take about 30 minutes (that meant 45 for me, at least).  As I made my way back to the bait shop, I watched the trees bending in the wind and the leaves trembling like little cymbals on a tambourine.  All was right in the universe again.

When we arrived home, Whaka already had a big pot of chili cooking on the stove, and it was almost ready.  As usual, we didn’t want to leave.  We had so much fun visiting with Sherrie and Greg, John and Loui, new friends who we hope to see again, and Sara, Whaka, and Tahi who we know we’ll see again in Venice when we get back.  Something (just another something) to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment