Thursday, September 27, 2012

diving with my sister: September 16


My family is far from rich, but they’re very happy.  My sisters and I grew up poor, but never knew it.  We always had everything we needed, and spent a lot of time playing outdoors.  My sister, Donna Michelle, or just plain Michelle as she likes to be referred to these days, has four beautiful children, is finishing school to become a special education teacher, works as an intern, and takes care of her lovely partner and household.  She works harder than most anyone I know, and is truly happy.  What better to bless her with than knowledge of diving, and thankfully, she’s interested!  Just as we were finishing dinner at my parent’s house she asked if she could join us on our trip to TJs tonight.  I was so excited to take her, especially after having already taken my brother a couple of days earlier.  We went to three stores, and barely had room for her in the bus on the ride home. 

We made trip after trip from the bus to her kitchen, carrying boxes and bags full of food—packs of still frozen tilapia and mahi mahi, fresh chicken, heaps of yogurt, eggs, vegetables, fruit, crackers, nuts, breads, chips, and even some chocolate covered pomegranate seeds and bouquets of fresh flowers.  I decided I couldn’t even be bothered to log it all as carefully as I usually do, just because of sheer quantity.  What am I going to do about food waste, teach everyone how to rescue it with the requirement that they share with at least one other person (and they must tell the person where the food came from).  I used to write letters to the CEO of TJs asking them to instantiate a zero-waste food policy.  No response.  So, if they’re going to throw it away, I’m going to spread the word.  Know this – dumpster diving is illegal, trespassing, and violators can be prosecuted.  I wonder what it would feel like to be that cop who arrests a woman taking food from the trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment