Thursday, September 27, 2012

Chicago style: September 17


On the way to Wisconsin, I realized we would pass right by Chicago where my friends Leigh and Danny now live with their 3-year old son Tyler.  We used to be roommates in the house that Rich owned, along with Seth and whoever else came to sleep over at our little commune on Martin Drive in Boulder, CO.  I phoned her up to see if she minded a last minute visit from the hippies.  She didn’t.  In fact, in our back and forth text messages that preceded our arrival (we were both very excited), she said “I knew you were going to get me to eat trash on this trip.” 

We arrived just in time to prepare a cocktail before dinner.  Danny’s sister makes the most delicious limoncello—the most delicious primarily because she uses Meyer lemons, which adds a wonderfully sweet flavor to the usually tart liquor, but also because she makes her booze strong.  I poured a sake glass full and decided it should be shared with Andre.  Following that came a taste of her homemade coffee liquor.  OMG seems the most appropriate way to describe the way my mouth felt when the sweet dark liquid hit my tongue and nearly made it break out into song.  If it were socially acceptable, I’d drink a small cup of this stuff every morning, heated slightly, with a piece of seeded toast we rescued from Whole Foods.

I offered to cook. I started with TJs spinach hummus and crackers, which her 3-year old devoured gleefully, followed by a mixture of sweet and rather colorful potatoes sautéed in oil with rosemary from their garden.  Along with the potatoes, I made a huge pot of random vegetables harvested from various gardens and dumpsters.  Leigh loved it, which surprised me given that until recently she refused to drink milk even a day past the sell by date.  The rest of the night was spent catching up.  When we pulled off, Josh sent a text that said he’d just caught Leigh eating dumpster salad for lunch.  Leftovers.  I don’t think she’ll start diving, but I still count this as a success.  I already miss you, Leigh and Danny.  Kisses to Tyler and a rub to your belly for the one who is on his way!

No comments:

Post a Comment