Thursday, September 27, 2012

forest lobsters: September 22


A long afternoon in the car ended in time for a hike before sunset.  We were somewhere near Hazelhurst, which is just south of Woodruf, Wisconsin.  The leaves were much more colorful than they’d been down south, displaying all of the shades of fall… red, orange, yellow, green, and everything in between.  Is it the death of summer, or alternatively, the birth of winter?  In either event, I was hoping for an Indian summer as I dug for my warmer jacket.

Out on our hike, I spotted some little blue mushrooms, lavender really, and wanted Andre to take a peek.  When we see something especially interesting in the forest, we usually call the other over.  Otherwise, we often separate staying just within earshot of the call we’ve developed. On his way over, he found our first lobster mushroom.  Lobster mushrooms aren’t really a type of mushroom, but rather lobsters refer to a host mushroom of some sort that gets taken over by another fungus.  In the case of this edible lobsters, which is often the case, this fungus was the color of a lobster (orange like a pumpkin).  I found several others nearby, giving us plenty for a full meal, although I was hesitant to eat them because there is no guarantee that the host mushrooms is edible. After reading and rereading our ID book to be sure, I sautéed them in a spoonful of coconut oil and a pinch of salt.  With a bit of leftover vegetables from the soup I made yesterday, they made delicious lobster tacos.  After dinner, we listened to the wolves howling nearby, calls that are very different from the coyotes I am accustomed to hearing down south. During my evening meditation, I felt grateful to be back in the forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment