Thursday, September 6, 2012

foraging with the folks - September 1


We woke up in the national forest outside of Los Alamos on our way to Santa Fe.  It’s a strange place, Los Alamos, where everything from radiation travel to planetary formations are researched at the National Lab.  I had no interest in the goings on there.  I was excited about today for two reasons. First, I get to pick up my parents this evening, who flew in from St. Louis to join our adventures for a week.  Second, Santa Fe has a Trader Joe’s with unlocked dumpsters.  Yes, diving is a highlight.  The forest has no junk food, and all the long days of hiking and working for my food makes me want to pull a cookie out of the trash with ease, unwrap it from it’s plastic coffin, and give it a new, albeit temporary, home where the mushrooms and nettle I find are laid to rest… in my belly.

We had a bit of time to kill before heading to the airport in Albuquerque, so we walked to the farmers market at the Railyard in hopes of swapping some chanterelles for some fresh eggs.  The chicken farmer had no idea what chanterelles were, and wasn’t at all interested in trading for mushrooms.  I told him about our trip, how we’re trying to forage or trade for all of our food, and he handed me a dozen of his eggs.  I wondered whether he thought we were bums.  We are a little dirty after all, and I was in desperate need of a shower before hugging my dad.  I hate to use the “I’m a professor on a research trip” too often, but it has come in handy.  People warm up to professors, we’re trustworthy, scientists, educators.  We have “real” jobs (despite the fact that I often say I get paid for what I used get in trouble for—talking in class), as opposed to ???  Anyway, it works, but using it makes me feel a little guilty and sad.  Rather than pulling all strings, we tried pushing the mushrooms a bit harder.  I told him all the fancy chefs love them and pay a fortune for them.  Wrong answer.  This farmer wasn’t fancy.  Andre told him they were really good for you, and many of them have medicinal properties.  He bought it, and asked how he should cook them. 

That started a chain of fortunate trades—fingerling potatoes, onions, Serrano peppers, raspberries (gifted like the eggs by a shopper, Lucy, who overheard us talking to one of the farmers).  With too much produce in the bus already, and an impending dive, we left the market, thrilled with our success.

Freshly showered, we greeted my folks with excitement.  They were now part of the forage voyage, although my dad insists on staying in hotels, comforts for a 6’4” man who pretends to be old when it works in his favor.  Hmm… will I shift from “the professor” to “the old lady” one day?  Anyway, a celebratory dinner out and several celebratory margaritas stopped us from diving the night of their arrival, but not the next day.  Bec, my stepmother, a woman who’s been in my life since just after the childhood amnesiac stage of my life, is intensely curious, and has been waiting to dive with me since she and dad’s visit to LA, where we watched Dive and ate dumpster food all week.  We took what we needed – some whole wheat tortillas, several pounds of organic sweet potatoes, coconut milk, organic eggs (we didn’t really need these but why not, they were organic), and those cookies I was dreaming out – a 6 pack of chocolate macaroons that sandwiched a creamy fudge filling.  There was plenty we left behind, including bags of organic salad, breads, other sweets, and heaps of other “trash” we didn’t even bother to look through.  Bitter sweet for me given the economic division we witnessed between many of the native Americans living in Santa Fe and the tourists who fill the streets of downtown.  My parents were happy.  Dad enjoyed serving as the look-out.  Bec enjoyed grocery shopping with us.  We all enjoyed the cookies.  There’s still one left and I know where it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment